Monday, January 28, 2013

The Runner's Body

There are so many things out there about having the "body of a runner". Runner's World had an article a few months back called The Runner's Body, in which they took a number of "ordinary" people and had an article featuring them and the fact that they are not what one would normally think of as the "traditional" runner. There were many people who loved the article, but there were also people who wished that the article showcased a wider variety of the non-traditional runner - all ages, shapes, sizes, ability. All you have to do is scroll down to the bottom of the link for the article (on the website it's individual videos) just to see one such comment.

The typical runners getting the attention (winning races, etc.) are thin, trim, and have calf muscles that could kill a person who just looked at them. Not to mention the flat, firm midsection.

I'm not going to lie and pretend that I look like a "runner". Apparently there's a certain amount level that your body gets accustomed to, and you don't sweat nearly as much?
Yeah, I sweat like a racehorse.

I'm tall, I'm thin... I love my calf muscles (and my legs in general).
My midsection has days where it's nice and thin.
But let's face it, it (that is, my midsection) isn't toned like it was when I was fifteen and super excited to be in marching band and do an amazing job at it. And my hips? My hips leave much to be desired - to me, anyway.
Although I finally have a butt! And it's all thanks to running. LOL.

But for real, how many people out there "match" the "desired" runner's aesthetic?
Thanks to the Liebster Award nomination, I've begun following more blogs of average runners, some who run more than I do, some who run less than I do, some who are shorter, taller, thinner, larger, out-boob me, older... Maybe a couple who are younger, I'm not sure.
But the thing we have in common (or, at least some of us have in common - don't wanna loop everybody in here, just in case!) is that we don't necessarily fit that aesthetic.
I'm also seeing more and more articles about runners who don't look like "runners".

Ok, that last part? Really, I just read one article in the February 2013 issues of Runner's World. It was by Ted Spiker, author of The Big Guy Blog. It's either called "The Big Guy" or "True to Size"; either way, I can't seem to find it on the RW website. He talks about fitting in with the crowd, or rather, what it's like to stand out because he doesn't fit the "runner" mold. His wife surprised him with a running jacket after he got a 5K PR. She bought an XL, but it turns out he needed a 2XL... The store didn't even sell 2XLs, and the salesman kept saying "He's doing great. Just tell him to keep at it", over and over, basically saying (without saying the words) that if he kept it up he could lose weight... Not even knowing whether or not the person WANTED to lose weight or anything. And according to the wife "He kept going on and on. He didn't get it."

Why is it that size, or anything else, seems to determine whether or not you're a "real runner"?
I get it, they did a study about how extra weight does impact one's speed, whether you're already pretty quick or not.

Speaking of size, I have an "average" bra size, but I've heard that finding a sturdy sports bra for anything above a D-cup or so is a complete pain (and horribly expensive). I get it, more support, more fabric, etc... But really?

Ok, it's time for me to be done with my spiel. My show is coming on in 2 minutes (Yay Bunheads!!!).
I'm out.

2 comments:

  1. One of my friends is a committed runner. She looks nothing like your traditional marathon runner. She is stocky, and doesn't have toned body. But she has said running was never about losing weight for her. It was just to release stress, and to be in the moment for an hour almost like a mediation. She enjoys running 5k, 6k, and those type of things, and you would never think this by looking at her. So she has definitely changed my perspective about runners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Runners do come in all shapes and sizes and ages!

    ReplyDelete