Friday, January 11, 2013

One down, two to go

Yesterday I got back a letter on the status of my application to a doctoral program in Counseling Psychology.

"Dear Victoria,
Blah blah-blah blah-blah... While we found your application to be very strong, the pool of applicants was highly competitive. Thus, we have judged that we are not able to offer you admission into our doctoral program at this time. However, due to the strength of your file, we would like to consider you for admission to our master's program in counseling..."

I posted about that on Facebook, and on of the comments I got was basically asking if they even LOOKED at my application. Because, let's be honest... In less than four months, I'm going to HAVE a master's degree in counseling. Why would I need a second one??
The only real difference I saw in the course work is that they've got a couple classes dealing with adolescents, while I haven't had any on that particular subject during my master's program. And the difference is really only six credit hours in the end. The equivalent of two classes. I'm thinking I'm not going to pursue that.
While I would LOVE to have a doctorate in Counseling Psych, part of me is pretty offended by the suggestion that my current schooling isn't good enough. ESPECIALLY when that school pairs with mine for some distance education, and it's the same school system and all.

If I'd just applied to one program, the next step wouldn't be so hard. But I'm waiting on two more application decisions.

Long story short, I have a job opportunity at my internship. As in, I've been told that they would love to have me and there's a position open.
Here's the catch: It's a full-time position, and the doctoral programs I applied to? Their classes are at any and all times of the day. It just wouldn't work out for me. So one way or another I'm going to have to say "goodbye" to something. Goodbye to the job opportunity in order to pursue a full-time doctoral program. Goodby to a doctoral program in order to make money.

Or, and here's what I'm really afraid of, goodbye to both because they're already interviewing prospective candidates so I may miss out on the job AND not get accepted into either of the remaining doctoral programs that have a current status that has yet to read "under review".

It's like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Except both seem equally immovable at this time. I never expected to miss out on opportunities due to wanting to further my education. Or rather, I expected to miss some things, for instance missing hanging out with friends because I have a ridiculous homework assignment due the next day. But it just always seems to surprise me when I realize that wanting to further my education can be a barrier, because I wouldn't be able to dedicate 100+% of my time to it, despite being able to do the job and do it well.

What to do?
Decisions, decisions...

On that note, I'm off to bed. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment