Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Disneyland, here we come! (fundraising tips welcome)

Race registration for the Dumbo Double Dare opened this morning. The DDD isn't anywhere near as long as the Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge (half marathon/13.1 miles one day, full marathon/26.2 miles the next, for a total of 39.3 miles.
But the DDD still looks pretty promising. It's doing a 10K (6.2 miles) one day, and then a half marathon the next day, for a total of 19.3 miles.

I was one of the many many many many MANY people upset with runDisney. I tried for over an hour to get into the race, but the site kept glitching because so many people were trying to register. And by the time I got to it, it was already sold out! The DDD filled up in about 30-45 minutes after it became available to the general public!
(The part that bugs me about that is they KNEW there would be a mad dash for it - it's the first year for the DDD and the 10K there, after all. And yet the website wasn't equipped to handle it. I even checked different events on the website to see if it was just trouble getting that race to load. Nope, the whole site)
It also turns out that there were only about 5,000 spots available... And plenty of people were able to pre-register at the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, as well as at the Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend, if you were an Annual Pass holder, if you had a Disney Visa credit card (almost makes me wish I'd decided to get one but, uh, no thanks). The DDD was between 60-80% full by the time the general public got to it. Not only that, there were people (like myself) who signed up for an email alert about registration. By the time I finally got the email, registration was closed!

It's amazing how many people, like myself, were mad with the whole thing. I hadn't expected it to be so wide-spread. It was even more amazing how many people were saying something along the lines of "It's not runDisney's fault. You should've gone to a race!"
I'll be the first to tell you, me doing Disney World AND Disneyland in one year? That's a HUGE splurge for me. Call it a bucket list thing, if you will... Although I don't actually have a set "bucket list". If it had been as simple as "Oh, well, you just didn't get to it in time", that's one thing.

Anyway, let me quit my ranting and raving. It's really getting me nowhere.

So I went ahead and registered for the 10K. QUICKLY. At the time I registered, the 10K was about 90-92% full. Then I registered for the half which, at this time, is about 85% full. Unless the website has been updated some time in the last 5 minutes, but I think it's probably closer to 80-85% full by now, if not more. We shall see.
The hubs will be doing the 5K, and we can be each other's cheerleader. I'm looking forward to it, and maybe holding a sign for him, since this will be a 5K he's doing by himself - the 10K starts 45 minutes after the 5K, so unless he's doing an 8:00 mile or something, I don't think I'd have enough time to be able to see him before I take off for my race.

Onward with where I'm getting with this blog!
I kept seeing people saying "Hey, you know, you can register to run with a charity. They still have open spots for the DDD!" Eventually I decided to just check it out.
The A-T Children's Project had a spot where I could become a fundraiser, even though I'd already registered for the race. AND they still have DDD projects. So I figured I'd jump on the chance. And I took it - although I'm still trying to figure out how to get from "I already registered, but wasn't able to get into the DDD" to "I'm registered for the DDD".

It wasn't the easiest decision to make. I'll be the first to tell you that I can't pronounce all of ataxia-telangiectasia. I just can't. I'm getting closer, but I feel like I'm butchering it. So in addition to the weird feeling I had (coughHAVEcough) about "I'm going to raise funds for something, but I can't pronounce it", my main concern was "I've got about 6.5 months to raise $600. How am I going to do it?"

Ok, so that's an average of about $100 a month. No problem. Except... I'm no fundraising whiz. Never have been. But the hubs really settled it for me.
"We're going to be there, we might as well do some good and help others."
(paraphrasing, but you get the basic gist of it)
AND he said that if I wasn't able to raise the $600, he'd take care of it, and not to worry. And, well, 6.5 months.
Yes, my husband said that. Something tells me I should keep him ;)

Well, it's that time of the night. I'm gonna ski-daddle. Any tips/suggestions for fundraising are more than welcome!
Also, here's the link to My A-T Children's Project Page.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment