Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Last first day of class!

As far as we know ;)
Tonight is the first night of my Human Development class.

I have a confession to make: I'm that weirdo who has not only printed out the syllabus already (in my program it's not TOO weird! haha) but I've already read it, highlighted some parts, and I've already planned out what my two "additional" projects will be.
The class has a total of three projects/papers, as far as I'm aware. One is a 4-5 page paper on a topic related to life-span development. I'm still contemplating what the subject of this one will be. For example, subjects from the past have included middle age and cosmetic surgery, pros and cons of breastfeeding, and expansion of adolescence into the 20s.
The closest idea I have for a topic at this time is something related to the drinking age. Real original, I know.
The other two projects, which I've already started, involve a 2-3 page summary of our experience, gathering information on a couple topics our professor has put on a list. From there we'll be doing a 15-minute (max) presentation. The plan is that I'll be doing one on the changes newlyweds have experienced since being married. I'll be combining two other topics, since they're so closely related, about the changes that parents have experienced since having a new baby, and what the birthing experience was like. I'll also be including people who have already had kids but now have a new baby, and what kind of adjustment has been taking place.

I really am excited for this. I reach out to my Facebook friends, as I know a lot of them are married/newly married/new parents. So far I've had 8 new parents (specifically new moms) agreeing to participate, 3 moms with new babies (maybe 4, I'm not quite sure), and 7 newlyweds.

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing what questions they'll answer. That is, I know some of them will have more than one section apply to them (newlywed with a new baby, that kind of thing). I'm looking forward to seeing what they consider maybe being a "new" baby or being a "newlywed".
I know that from personal experience I stopped feeling like a newlywed not too long after we got married, mostly because it was back to "real life" - no honeymoon, lots of work to be done, husband taking summer classes, etc. It's like there really wasn't downtime. But we've been married just over a year and a half, and some people would still consider that being "newlyweds" because it's been less than two years.

Apparently there's a show called The Newlywed Game, and the cutoff for eligibility is if you've been married more than 2 years.

Well, we're now up one newlywed and one new mom (or... new baby, already has kids... I'll figure that bit out later)! :D
I almost didn't expect it to come together so quickly/nicely, but I should also know from experience that a lot of women like talking about/remembering their weddings, talking about their birth experiences, etc.

What's especially funny about this whole thing is that I'm not doing a thesis. And getting such enjoyment out of people willing to participate in research makes me wonder just why the heck I'm not doing it! And then I remember that I'd be cranking out a thesis in under 4 months. Not impossible, but I would probably run screaming by the end of it if I procrastinated on it, and I would have to gather a committee, first!

No comments:

Post a Comment