Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend RECAP!!!

Oh, my goodness. I've been neglecting my blog. I was going to post about a week and a half ago, but I got caught up with comps and everything (and I'll hit that in a later post).

Long story short: Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2013 was THIS weekend. As in, we got back about 7.5 hours ago.

In the end I'd say it was pretty successful, but sometimes it's easy to forget that trips can be stressful. Granted, I was expecting a decent amount of stress - and I got very little sleep the whole time, too! But it was definitely enjoyable.
We stayed at Coronado Springs Resort, in Casitas 4. I'm so glad we stayed there, especially because that's where the Expo was. When we got back from the 5K Saturday morning, there was a line for the Expo that not only went out of the door (mind you, Coronado Springs has a very LARGE convention center. We're talking LAAAAAAARGE!) but it went down the side of the building, across the street by the parking lot, and down the front of the main building! It was absurd! But we were able to go on Friday. We picked up our race packets, did a little bit of wandering and shopping... I could've stayed at the Expo all weekend, just looking at everything, but I had places to get. We took some pictures with Disney princesses on the way out of the Expo (and basically every day, really), then did a quick jot around Animal Kingdom before ending up in Magic Kingdom for the rest of the night and a beautiful fireworks display.


On Friday we got up and went to the Expo. Let me just say that it was SO COOL! One thing that could keep me going back and doing Disney races, other than the fact that I'd be going to Disney(!!!!), is the fact that the Expo was just amazing! There was such a variety. And the volunteers at the Expo AND during all of the race events were just so wonderful.
After the Expo we went to Animal Kingdom and did an awesome safari through their Wildlife Reserve. We got to see cheetahs, lions... Even a white rhino - an endangered species! There were also giraffes, elephants, crocodiles... Heck, there were even flamingos!
Then we went to Epcot for the Pasta in the Park Party, and then their IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth light show.The Pasta party was beautiful, to say the least. The chandeliers, the lights... And the DJ they had was amazing. I'd be surprised if they didn't have him for every resort possible at WDW. He was even up super early (but not bright!) for the 5K the next morning.






On Saturday... Well, there was the 5K. We were in Corral C... Oh, and we had a special guest in our corral! You'll see a picture momentarily.
I'm proud to say I finished in under 40:00. Give or take I'd say it was about 39 minutes. I'd been thinking my ideal time goal was under 40 minutes, and my ideal was between 42:00 and 45:00.
By the way, one of the race photographers... Got a not-so-attractive picture of me. I accidentally cut in front of a guy who was about to have his picture taken. So the picture basically has me making an "OH, CRAP! SORRY! Eeeeeeeee...." face.

After the race we crashed. I still can't believe that I napped for a couple hours after a 5K, of all things. Granted, I didn't sleep much... But still!
Then we went to Hollywood Studios, saw a shortened version of Beauty and the Beast, in which Gaston dowa NOT die, as far as we are aware. and then back to Epcot.

Word to the wide: Don't ever walking too damn much the night before a big race. I should've ditched the group and gone back to the resort for rest, as I had to be on a bus by no later than 4 the next morning... But I didn't. Can you say foolish?





(Why, yes, Santa was at our race AND in our corral! LOL. I was so surprised when he turned around and I saw short, dark brown hair. He was good enough that even in his short red running shorts, well, he just did it so WELL!)

Now on Sunday, our wonderfully amazing day... I'm genuinely amazed I was able to eat a banana for breakfast. And almost as surprised that it didn't come right back up.
I didn't take very many pictures, just because it wasn't that easy to access my phone.
The most disappointing part of the race is that my legs hurt so badly between the 5K and the BEYOND excess of walking, that I was only able to run a few miles. I had to walk about 10 miles of it. I was truly hoping that I could've run at least half of it... Well, now I know what to train for when it comes of Dumbo in Disneyland in August/September.
I hate to say it, but I was just so ANGRY about not being able to run more of it. It feels like I'll be doing some easy shin splint exercises for a bit...

I'm so surprised that I didn't start crying around mile 10. I'd already seen the volunteers there on that side, since we were heading back on the other side of the divided highway... They were holding up signs saying things like "You deserve a pedicure after this" and "Mind over muslce".
It was such a good feeling, knowing that random strangers (or at least random and strangers for some of us) were just so willing to support us all.

BTW.  I think the winner this year finished in about 1:17:00. Ir was insane!






(yes, my poor running buddy was asleep at the Race Retreat)

We wandered the Magic Kingdom after napping for a few hours.
Apparently they requested help from someone from housekeeping services. I was so tired that I had a pillow over my face, AND I didn't hear her come in. Wow.

After my nap, we went to Cinderella's Royal Table for lunch. Can you say "Yum"?

Anyway, I think that's about it. OH! And I bought A STICK! That is, they at least help with tired, sore muscles. So far so good, although if your muscles are really tight then you will DEFINITELY feel it!

And now I leave you all with some memes to describe this weekend in my life:


This next one is important because I'm self-conscious about being slower than most of the runners:

To be honest, I never thought I would ever work to becoming a runner. Or that I would enjoy it! I'm working to not hold myself back with limitations I impose on myself.


This is how I was feeling after the run:
Because let's face it, I finished, AND within the time limits!



And with one last parting shot!
I was feeling the "Why am I doing this" in the middle of the run, around 6 miles or so. And again around mile 11 or so.
But I've been thinking... Disney races are something I would LOVE to continue doing. I have high hopes!

Anyway, I'm trying not to doze off over here at my desk. Out I go. Goodnight! ♥

3 comments:

  1. Wow, looked like you had a blast!!!! You'r awesome for running mini marathons. I'd die.

    To let you know, I changed the URL of my blog (I changed the spelling) so the original URL is broken! Use this instead:


    http://beautifullittlepiece.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous of all the Princess runners! It looks like a great event! Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using a stick way more than a foam roller. Glad you had a good time. I did Princess in 2011... one of these days I will make it make for that one again!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete