Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Comps and more comps

Today is my first day back in the "real world". It's been kind of nice getting back into the swing of things. I woke up a little earlier than usual - probably still used to getting up freakishly early for races??
Then I dozed back off. Of course.
Getting back to internship... It was nice. I'd already known that I was tired and everything, but walking back in and looking at everything with a clear mind and a far more positive attitude... It made me realize just how much I really needed those days off, even if they were full of running events.

Running events that I enjoyed *immensely*. Wouldn't change it all for the world.

Now to get back on track. I've got comps on Friday. Written comps, that is. I'm not particularly worried about passing those. I really feel like I'm going to do well on them, especially if I know my stuff really well for one-to-two sections and can use those sections to expand on everything else. I have four hours for four four sections, in which I have to write one essay for each section.

It's a huge difference from the CPCE. That multiple choice section... It was 160 questions, I prepared as best as I could... And I'm pretty sure I bombed it. I'm really afraid that I didn't pass. I know that people usually feel like they really failed it... But I REALLY feel like I failed it... If I have to retake it, then I can't graduate until I pass it - and the next time it's offered is in the fall. Ugh.
I can tell which sections I didn't really study as much as others. All the same, I've heard people saying that they thought the Encyclopedia of Counseling (AKA this HUGE book most all of us bought to study from) was a waste. A good book, but not the least bit helpful when it came to the CPCE...
But I am SO GLAD that I spent as much time as I could on Theories and Careers. Theories was a beast to take, and it's something that I still struggle with a bit. I lucked out with my grade; I emailed my professor because my grade was coming out to a C+ (2 C's and you're on academic probation, 3 C's and you're kicked out of the program). He bumped me up to a B-, which is the lowest grade I've gotten this whole program. I really lucked out.

Oh, and even better... I found out yesterday that I didn't get accepted into a doctoral program in Human Sciences with a specialization in Child, Youth and Family Studies (yes, without a second comma). Talk about a downer. Came back from this amazing weekend, only to discover that I didn't make it into the program... And it was my last outstanding doctoral application, which means that unless I'm magically accepted into something some time soon, I'm not going on for my doctorate in the fall.
I wouldn't even know what else to apply for. And the whole thing really does suck.

On that note... I got to see Bunheads yesterday? I think it was the season 2 finale. Yay for ending on a positive note. It was a good episode.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about not getting into PHD program. :( It will come. Just keep thinking positive, and it will come. Good luck on the comps! I've taken that before, and it was nerve-racking!

    ReplyDelete