I vaguely remembered hearing a quote that had "emotionally unavailable" in it and, upon a quick and dirty little Google search, I came up with a quote from the movie Friends with Benefits.
Helloooooo, Justin Timberlake! Ow ow!
Ok, enough of being a preteen again. Some parts of that I could live without.
"Emotionally unavailable" and similar terms have been going through my head since about 5:50 this evening. During my Multicultural final my grandma called and left a message letting me know that my great-grandma (her mom) had passed away.
To be completely honest, I'm unsure of how I feel about this.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my great-grandmother. She was quite the sweetheart. I wish she had gotten to meet DH before her passing - I'd hoped to be able to get out there in November 2013 for a race going on out that way.
All the same, that side of the family I haven't really been "close" to (or "close-ISH", anyway) since about the 4th grade, when we got stationed about 1,000 miles away from there as opposed to 200-300 miles away depending on the route you would take.
And so I have been wondering if I'm "emotionally unavailable", at least on this particular subject.
I even thought "Well, I will never forget the date she passed. 12/12/12. Way to make it memorable, Grandma ____."
But then comes the part of trying to determine if that's being insensitive or if it's just a nice, memorable way to acknowledge the whole thing...
And the sad/funny/ironic/UGH! part of it all is that around the time of day that my grandma said my great-grandma passed, I'd been thinking about giving my grandma a call since I hadn't talked to her in a while. I'd also thought about it late last night.
Part of me is wondering just how coincidental that actually is. And I hear it much louder and clearer than I normally would, considering the bit of Skinnygirl White Peach Margarita mixed with apple juice that's floating through my system.
I haven't heard from my grandma since I got the message, even though I called her back right after my final. I'm definitely going to call her tomorrow, either in the morning or after I get done at my internship to see what's going on.
I hate that DH and I will likely be going to visit family because of a funeral... We'll have to see how that goes.
I have to wonder when I'll actually realize it, or if I already have. Whenever I think of my great-grandma, I think of where her house is situated in relation to everything around her place. The Burger King and the KFC that I always recognized as landmarks, even though I was too young to really be able to place anything else in a place that I only saw when we visited once every other month or so, or even less frequently.
We'll just have to see what tomorrow brings, I guess...
No comments:
Post a Comment