Never have two words been uttered so often.
"Know thyself."
I'm pretty sure they're engraved on my brain at this point in my life. I'd heard them many times throughout undergrad and I occasionally hear them in grad school.
"Know thyself."
But what does it really mean?
For years I've been encouraged to become aware and maintain awareness of my strengths and weaknesses. To know my limitations, to test my boundaries... To increase my awareness of who I am as an individual.
And never has it been more apparent to me, and also more confusing.
"Know thyself."
Ok, maybe not as confusing as identifying myself as a teenager. Somewhat.
...
Ok, maybe it is a bit more confusing. It seems that I'm far more aware of who I am and what I want in my life.
But now I'm also more aware of the boundaries that I have to heed.
Life isn't infinite.
It's important to not burn your bridges unless you're for sure done with them. And even then... I'm learning more to hold my tongue and smile even when displeased with someone or something. And let's face it, I'm getting better at being cordial to someone's face... Without feeling like I'm going to be massacred in the process. Being able to receive some genuine enjoyment out of the interaction, appreciating it for what it is.
I have to pay bills. What a damn shame.
I can't do everything. Well, I can, but now I have to be more cognizant of the rules and limits surrounding what I want to do. That is, I always did, but as an adult sometimes I have to rely on myself to bail me out. Haha?
Although there is no limit on how old you can be before you stop enjoying Disney movies. Thankfully :D
DH and I just finished watching Hercules, and I'm tamping down the urge to sing along. We'll see how long that lasts.
"Know thyself."
Even though it can be a major pain in the tuchus (hello, paying bills? Or HF&Ds, or hellfire and damnation, as my father so eloquently refers to them), the process of growing up has been enjoyable. More so after high school, and the continuation of my growing and maturing (and the occasional backslides into immaturity. Everyone needs one now and then!).
I'm realizing the boundaries and limitations of some things (for example, needing a tax ID to start my own photography business, and needing to enhance any skills first!), but I'm also realizing things that I truly enjoy.
I joked about becoming a counselor at first.
Hello, why not get paid to have people tell you their problems when they do it anyway?
I've grown to realize that not only is it something that calls to me, I absolutely love it. I'll be the first to tell you that I'm highly introverted, and that being in crowded situations or with people I don't know or whatever can make me swear like nobody's business (which... I guess you probably didn't want to know and it probably ISN'T your business! Yay?), but interacting with clients is really wonderful.
What I'm getting at is that although there are things I have learned, I've still got a ways to go.
But I'm really enjoying discovering who I am as an individual, both personally and professionally.
"Know thyself."
Well, I'm kind of along for the ride, aren't I?
No comments:
Post a Comment