I work to not judge people.
What I mean is, you judge people (and other things) on a daily basis - making judgments on who to trust, what to eat, whether or not to touch the hot stove that's burned you before... You make judgments daily!
What I'm struggling with at this moment (or at least I was for the last two nights when I ran) is the negative kind. It feels a bit shameful to say it out loud, but it's true.
For the last two nights, about halfway through my workout, this couple(?) has been coming in. An older couple, with the man using a bike and the (overweight) woman on the treadmill next to me.
Hold up. If you have seen any of my other posts, you know that I tend to ramble a bit. Bear with me, please.
Now, I should say that when I run, I listen to music. Otherwise just running on the treadmill can get tiresome VERY quickly - especially when you're already tired! I have running headphones, but I don't use them because they're uncomfortable. I dream of the day when I can try out some Bluetooth headphones (well, earbuds) for running! So when I'm alone or with someone I know, I play my music out loud. No big deal.
So the last two workouts have consisted of 40-50 minutes of running, and 12-20 minutes of walking. So totaling 52 minutes the first night, and 70 minutes last night. They've been coming in when I've got about 15-25 minutes of *running* left (which also means about 10-15 minutes of walking, so about half 20-30 minutes left of my workout).
Ok, so the couple walks in, and because of the rules (and what I like to think of as common courtesy - they might not like my music or even want to hear any music!) I pause my music. I continue trying to get about 20-30 more minutes of my done without keeling over or just giving up. I've done too much to just give up!
But then I start getting irritated.
I know I don't own the fitness room. I don't have time blocked out where I'm going to use it and only I can be the one in there (plus or minus the hubs or a friend).
Anyway, but I start getting irritated. Here I am, sweating my ass off, trying to improve and do good for myself. I'm at a slight incline, because apparently it helps you prep more for running outside.
And you just come on in, hop on the treadmill, appear to be expecting me to get off the treadmill some time soon so your partner can use it, and you can't even look at me? I try to offer you a smile, but you just ignore me!
I get it, not everybody goes to the fitness room (or a gym, or other kind of exercise facility) to be social, or even remotely friendly. Especially not at 11-11:30 at night!
And (this being my own personal experience, not saying it's what this woman is thinking/feeling) I get that it can be intimidating being next to someone who is on the same machine and is absolutely killing it. Even more so when they appear to be in good shape. I saw this guy who always used to use the Stair Climber machine thingy for for 20-30 minutes - and the intensity was CRANKED, and he appeared to be in ridiculously good shape. We're talking RIPPED.
When I run, my legs make me look like a "gym rat". The rest of me might not look like it, but my leg muscles are something I'm proud of. For the most part they're pretty well-toned. And I drip sweat like a beast.
The first night, this woman and I finished up around the same time. I said something like "Well, I guess it's time for bed, huh?"
Ignored.
I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she didn't hear me. She had headphones in. Maybe she thought I was talking to myself. Or maybe she just didn't want to look at me. I would've offered up something like "Hey, good workout! ::smile::" - she had been huffing and puffing a bit earlier while walking/doing a light jog.
The second night... I just contemplated keeping my music playing. I mean, if they can't hear me (or pretend not to hear me), what's the big damn deal?! Hearing music makes my workout easier. I mean, they came in when I was already working out. Why should I tailor my workout to them?
Or... Why should they tailor their workout to me?
Or... What if they WERE tailoring their workout to me?
Maybe I should think on it some more. I mean, it's not like we've had a conversation, so I clearly don't even know them!
Basically, this whole thing makes me wonder what kind of person I am. Granted, I know I'm not as nice when I'm hot, sweaty, tired, and STILL have 20+ minutes left to go.
Looks like I'll be buying those Bluetooth headphones sooner than I thought. I've been thinking about it for months anyway...
No comments:
Post a Comment