"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten."
I don't know who originally said that, or when I first heard it, but I know when I first *remember* hearing it. I was a freshman in high school and, of all the people to say it, I heard it from my choir director. And let's be clear: such a statement goes with more than just learning how to read the music and sing what's on the page correctly.
Becoming a runner hasn't been the easiest journey ever. It was easy enough to make the decision that it was something that I wanted to do, and having it as a goal that I want to keep is pretty simple... But often the consistency just fails me.
I also realize that I, like many people, tend to do better when supported by others, and especially when I have the opportunity to run (or exercise in general) with somebody else. Often that's what's missing - not the support, but having someone there who's along for the ride (and hopefully enjoying it). Of course, I have yet to transition to running outdoors. I'm sure that a change of scenery would be good, but I'm just not to that point yet.
That said, I did make a change regarding getting a small piece of gear that will help encourage me, and keep track of what I'm doing in addition to the app(s) that I use for training as far as the run-walk-run progression.
I posted previously that I'd purchased the Motorola MOTOACTV. Well, in the end it really wasn't the watch for me. It just didn't feel... Right. So last night, after owning the MOTOACTV for less than a day, I returned it. I ended up getting the Nike+ SportWatch GPS, and this is a transition that I am MUCH happier with. I'm glad I decided to change it up, and I am super excited to use it!
Plan: Running after work today. It may very well end up being a solo run, but if this is a change I want to make for myself then I need to hold myself accountable, huh?
Here's to making a change!
(and yes, this is my wonderfully bright Nike+ SportWatch GPS, with a horribly wrong date/time that I finally got set up correctly!)
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten."

No comments:
Post a Comment