Our trio (the hubs, a friend, and I) did our 5K-ake Challenge today. Had a mini cupcake every mile!
I'm disappointed because we ended up walking the majority of it instead of running the majority of it... We finished in about 52:45.
I think my husband has learned the importance of eating something light at least half an hour prior to a run.
Yes, I just rolled my eyes. But now he knows, and he's thought about the change to make as far as running the Royal Family 5K at Disney.
Let's see... My first mini cupcake was vanilla with vanilla frosting. Second was red velvet with cream cheese frosting. The last one was chocolate on chocolate... I kinda wish I'd gotten the strawberries and cream cupcake :D Either way, the cupcakes were tasty.
The run itself was definitely an experience. They didn't expect over 600 people to sign up (over 700, actually, judging by the bib numbers) so we started in waves of 100... Although all strollers were in the last wave, and people were allowed to switch waves if their friends were in different ones. Fun, yes, but also disappointing.
Since we were the 12-14 people who's registered, we were in the first wave. I have to say, I am SO glad there were different waves. 100 people, give or take, jostling through at the beginning? Not fun... I can't imagine multiplying that by 6+!!!! And we went over a couple bridges on the trail that were NOT designed for a bunch of people to run on. I ran across it just to get OFF of it, seeing as it was bouncing a bit!
I wish I'd thought to get my phone from DH to do more than check out distance/time, since I'd left my Nike+ SportWatch GPS at home. We ran under a couple bridges of some main streets, and there was some nicely-done graffiti down there!
Mind you, I lack the necessary artistry for anything remotely close to that (never mind the legality of it). DH also pointed out that someone put "Repent" in graffiti on one of the bridges.
Let's see... Getting the point across in graffiti... Committing a misdemeanor, potentially something morally objectable(?), to do it... Hmm... (At least, I think it's just a misdemeanor).
I wish I could remember some of the conversations that we heard; they were quite humorous!
Then again, we were talking about zombies since at the beginning someone had mentioned the Zombies, Run! app.
Goal for Disney: pick up the pace. We have to do a 16:00 mile or less. I've been training at about a 13:00-14:00 mile. Not fast, but faster than I would be going otherwise!
It was so disheartening to see people from wave 6 passing us with ease. We were decimated by multiple jogging strollers!
Of course, as my dad told me when I talked to him post-race, at least we were out there.
AND DH and I dropped 2.5-3 minutes off of the 5K we walked in April.
Always look on the bright side of life! (What IS that from??)
Until Disney, there's a 4-mile Halloween Fun Run next Tuesday (the 30th) so I'm looking forward to doing that and seeing what changes I can make :) and like today, they're not going to be picky about your pace.
Funny bit: we ran the last, oh, .15mi of the run to make it look like we'd really been running. It was hilarious. And my friend's mom was quite the amazing cheerleader, yelling for us as everybody just stared and waited for us to hurry up.
She said something along the lines of "Oh, you guys must've run so hard!" And my friend went "Ha, LIE!"
Anyway, here's a picture of us at the halfway point :D

No comments:
Post a Comment