Monday, October 22, 2012

Can you tutu?

The 5K-ake Challenge inspired me to try something a little different: making a tutu.

I know my lovely running buddy and I were looking at getting tutus for the Princess Half in February, but then I decided I could just as easily make them! I found the perfect tulle for them, too!

(Does a tutu count as "running gear"? Lol)

Unfortunately it was a bit pricey to buy the tulle I REALLY wanted, so I decided to wait on the colors (that and she doesn't know if she wants to be Rapunzel or Belle) and instead just picked up a couple small rolls (bolts? spools?) of tulle in a light purple and a light blue. I figured I might as well test it out, see how much work is involved.

After some online hunting, I finally found a website ([url=http://bebehblog.com/the-most-unnecessary-craft-tutorial-ever-baby-tutu/]Bebehblog[/url]) that showed some knots that seemed to work well, much sturdier than other knots I've seen for these things... And would NOT involve sewing or glue or anything.

So I watched Prince of Persia and the Tangled, and from about the last half-ish of Prince of Persia and the first half of Tangled I decided to get to work!
It was more time-consuming than I would have thought, getting the tulle cut and all. Also, I used 50 yards of tulle (AKA two 25-yard rolls) and ended up with it about 19", where it can be scrunched or spread out to accommodate age/size.

And so I made a baby tutu! (Or toddler, take your pick)

All in all, I think it turned out rather nicely :) now I kinda want to go make more!

(Before I forget, since we're on the subject of crafty things... Can you melt/flatten a glass bottle in a regular oven?? I've heard yeses and I've heard a whooooole lot of no's, so I'm not sure. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!)

No comments:

Post a Comment