Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The end of a bad running joke?

I can't even recall how many times I've posted about my issues with running fuel - gels, blocks, drinks, drink mixes, etc.
If you missed it, long story short: GI distress. Often. As in, avoided eating hours before runs (even short ones). Had evenings where I just wanted to curl up in the bathroom floor and cry from the pain.

BUT NOT TONIIIIIIIIIGHT! :)

I've been a subscriber of Kona Kase since July (more on that later), and last month one of the items was Skratch Labs hydration mix ("with lemons and limes").
Typically I avoid mixes unless people REALLY rave about them. This time was no different - I can't stomach lemon-line Gatorade anymore. Those stomach cramps were... A nightmare. A violent nightmare. Guess I thought that would be the same, and that there was really no hope for me, with the exception of the post-race Powerade runDisney has. THAT I'll drink. Go figure πŸ˜‰

Anyway, this month one of the items in the Kona Kase was a Skratch Labs mix - in PINEAPPLE! Oh, how I love pineapple.


I mixed it with some water 20-30 minutes pre-run and tried it. To my surprise, it actually had flavor. And it wasn't a faint flavor, either!

Sorry, NUUN lovers. NUUN is a fabulous product, but there's not enough flavor for me.
Says the girl who uses two packets of apple cider mix per 6-8 ounces. That reference help you understand my plight a little more? Don't smite me πŸ˜‰

I had a little of the mix pre-run, a little mid-run, and a decent amount post-run.
And about twenty minutes ago I picked up the bottle to drink some more. To my shock, I realized that not only was I still drinking it, I wasn't sick! I wasn't in pain! I wasn't curled up in a ball on the floor! (Although now I feel a little off, but I blame that on eating Fruit Gushers post-run - even nearly two hours later. Darn tasty things, I couldn't stay away).

I'm now feeling really good about this. I'm even a bit excited to try the Skratch with lemons and limes.
Of course I still have that flavor apprehension. I don't see that going away. But now I'm actually interested in trying other products (or at least more Skratch), with a lot less of the terror and fear that I'll be wasting my money!

I feel pretty good right now.
And to top it all off, I'm in my footie pajamas, so I'm pretty content.

Cuz that wasn't random, huh?
Basically, I like the feeling I have now.
Not like, love. This is what it should feel like post-run, not avoiding everything but water because I'm afraid I'll get sick.

Oh, and to top off my running day?
I pulled a double. They were short, due to time constraints, but I worked my tail off! 5-10% incline for a mile this morning. 2.25 miles this evening, running the last 1.75 miles of it - and finishing at 7mph! (8:30mm).

I started off with the mindset that I would wear a motivating shirt:

Nailed it πŸ˜‰
I like to think I did Dumbo proud tonight!

Alright, enough of my rambling. Have a fun and safe night, everyone. Peace! πŸ’‹

No comments:

Post a Comment