Friday, April 19, 2013

Food Porn, and Boston

I'm sure I'm living vicariously through someone at Red Robin right now. Ever since I got my wisdom teeth out on Wednesday, I've wanted a burger. Or chicken. But definitely a burger. And of course, they told me to stay away from ground beef... So I'm assuming a burger is out of the question (especially the fabulously spicy Burnin' Love Burger at Red Robin, fried jalapenos and all!)
...
Still trying to figure out how to get proper nutrition for running until my mouth completely heals. It's hard enough (and sad enough) when I get GI issues from running anyway...

On that note, here's a picture for you. Because I can ;)
Red Robin's Burnin' Love Burger, at your service.


(Also, I'm totally baking some sweet potatoes/yams right now. Got some mashed ones I'm hoping come out like sweet potato pie (yum!!), and some sweet potato pieces that I'm hoping come out like fries/wedges/what-have-you, but, you know, sweet) ;)



That said, with everything that's been going on in Boston, what with the explosions at the 117th Boston Marathon on Monday (15 April 2013)... Facebook, Twitter, the news... Everything and everyone has been talking about it. And I don't don't blame them. It's a pretty major event, scary and life-changing for so many - in positive and negative ways.
Negative ways... I shouldn't even have to specify how. Three dead, a large number injured (100+), and even more affected in other ways.
Positive ways, well... It's amazing to see people joining together to provide one another with support. From the slowest runner to the fastest runner, those in between, those are aren't runners, etc., etc., etc. - I've seen nothing but support, and it really does make a person feel good about some of the goings-on in the world, realizing (or having it reaffirmed) that there are wonderful people out there.

Today (within the last few hours, in fact) they caught the (still living) suspect. Boston was on lockdown this morning while they searched.
The other suspect (his brother) is dead.

That said - and please don't try to burn me at the stake or through the computer for this - I truly hope they have the right people. Looking online, seeing that people have been sending the suspects death threats in some way, shape, or form (and the threats sent to the person they initially thought was a suspect, but actually wasn't)... It stings.
Maybe it's just me and I'm overly sensitive (or not sensitive enough), but I can't imagine wishing someone dead. Maybe hoping they stub their toe or something, I guess, but not actually wishing someone dead.

I know some people will say "You run, why don't you get it?" or "Well, they shouldn't have done this!" or "That's what they get!" but... It's not up to me to decide "what they get". Such a concept has always made me rather uncomfortable.

I don't believe it's up to me to decide if someone lives or dies.
Take that how you will. Agree, disagree, hate me, love me, whatever you will.
I stick by that.

On that note: I hope those in Boston, as well as friends, families, runners, those who were at the Boston Marathon, etc... I hope they can breathe better and rest easier tonight. And that the right people are held accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment