In the last 24 hours DH and I packed up, drove to Leawood, Kansas (just outside of KC), slept, got up, I registered for and completed the Diva Dash 5k, and then we came back home.
A girl I went to high school with told me about it, and I was so excited because there will be one in Omaha in May.
And then I realized... It's on the same day as the Runway Run, which I've been wanting to do for the last year. It's one of the events that got me interested in running!
So I talked with DH and we looked up the Diva Dash 5k... The event is also in Tulsa, Wichita, Topeka, and KC (see: Leawood), unless I'm mistaken. We were unsure of making the drive there, but last night he surprised me with the go-ahead.
We got to our hotel just after midnight, and were out the door by about 7:15 this morning. The website wasn't kidding when it said that the start/finish of the race was basically right outside of our hotel, when it talked about discount rates for the race.
Pre-run I stopped by the face-painting tent they had for everyone. I told the lady to surprise me and she gave me a beautiful purple, pink, and blue flower. That was at about 8:20 this morning. It's 6:30 in the evening. That flower is still on my face, and I. Am. Loving it.
I've gotten a few weird looks for it, including from some middle-school-age looking girl who just kept staring at me during lunch whenever I turned to look at anything.
DH calls it my "war paint".
I'm not gonna lie when I say I was freezing my tail off. I made the mistake of not really warming up, and in the first quarter-to-half of a mile I could tell my muscles weren't really warmed up. My calves felt tight and... Well, my toes were numb, but that wasn't from not warming up. I just don't bond well with the cold - something I should've thought of sooner. I didn't bring a headband (earmuffs) or my long sleeves for running, but thankfully I had other stuff with me. I threw on a sweatshirt, my mittens (that were gloves on the inside - not great for me, but better than nothing), my Steelers hat, some calf sleeves with my long shorts, and I was good to go! Well, for the most part.
It was a very nice loop, starting us off in the shopping area our hotel was in, going through a neighborhood, down a street (Nall Street??), past the outdoor mall, through the edge of the parking garage, and down through the drive to the shops we started at.
It was the first run I've ever done by myself. And I saw in action something that I've seen mentioned again and again on websites: when out running, be aware of your surroundings. Especially when alone, but also when running with others. As we were running through the neighborhood... Well, people live in neighborhoods, right? I got to witness a number of people blocking cars trying to slowly drive away from the crowd of females. And they weren't aware they were blocking moving vehicles, unless they suddenly turned around, the person next to them tapped them on the shoulder, or, in the case of one person I saw, someone ran up to them and told them.
Basically, it's important to pay attention to your body AND your surroundings.
It's something you know, but sometimes you realize not everyone is aware of it.
Headphones shouldn't drown out everything.
Oh! In addition to it being my first run by myself, it was my first run in the cold. I admit that I was totally using my mitten for my nose a little bit.
My nose lightly ran almost consistently for the first two miles. Then suddenly my nose was pretty much done running,.. And then I started lightly sweating. Go figure.
I'm rolling my eyes at that, just FYI.
Finish time: 39:20.9
My next time goal is to get under 39 minutes. I'm hoping to do the Illuminite Run the night before the Runway Run and get a sub-39.
I'm enjoying myself :)




Great job!
ReplyDelete